PG13

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Purl and I go to the park!

Warning: This is a picture heavy post!

Purl and I went to Laumeier Sculpture Park today. Ms. Needle and Distaff was supposed to join us, but unfortunately, she was not feeling well. If you are in the St. Louis area I highly recommend that you go there. It is a beautiful place that believes in combing art, nature, and people. Plus, you can bring your dog! It is the only American Association of Museums member where dogs are welcome. Here, we are on our way to the park. Clearly, Purl is very excited.

I really loved this piece. Unfortunatly, I can't find the name or artist online. (Since I failed to write the names down, I used this site to find the information).

One of the great thing that the park has is braille descriptions of several of their sculptures. They also have scale models of the pieces. Here Purl is inspecting the description of one of the pieces.


Here is the full size sculpture. It is Laumier Project 1981 by Jackie Ferrara.Here, Purl is inspecting the work. It is part of an untitled piece by Ursula von Rydingsvard.

This is one of my favorite pieces, called Triangular Bridge Over Water, by Dan Graham. When I was here last year this piece had been damaged during a storm. A branch fell and broke one of the panes of glass. I am really pleased that it has been repaired.I actually know the name of this piece! It is Ball? Ball! Wall? Wall! by Donald Lipski. It is another one of my favorites. Both of these have been here at the park for as long as I can remember. So has this one, titled The Way 1972-80, by Alexandar Liberman. It always makes me thing of a swing set.

And just to prove that I do knit, here is a picture of my sock with Sugabus by Robert Chambers.

It is a sugar molecule. The name is a mix of sugar and Cerberus, the three headed dog that guarded the underworld.

I grew up taking day trips from Rolla to come here to hike and look at the art work. Several works were featured in the text books I used for my art history courses in school. Laumier has pieces done by internationally known artists. Yet many people in St. Louis don't know anything about the park. He who shall not be named grew up in the town neighboring the park, yet he had never been there until I took him.

No comments: